Places to go in Oaxaca and surroundings.
A brief list of activities:
- Visit the famous nearby Zapotec site at Monte Alban.
- Hire a car and tour the villages surrounding Oaxaca.
- Treat yourself to a revitalizing temazcal treatment.
- Arrange a cooking class in Oaxaca cuisine at La Olla restaurant.
- Run the ‘cerro del fortin‘ or through El llano park.
- Visit Oaxaca’s museums:
- Museum of Oaxacan culture at the Santo Domingo complex .
- Modern Art Museum.
- Photography Museum.
- Graphic arts institute.
- Tamayo Museum.
- Cultural Center San Pablo.
- Textile Museum.
- Stamp Museum.
- Folk Art Museum at San Bartolo.
- Visit archeological sites of Yagul and Mitla.
- See the oldest tree in the Americas at El Tule.
- Visit the art school and paper factory in San Agustín, Etla.
- Explore Oaxaca’s churches including the Santo Domingo church .
- Hang out at one of many outdoor cafes at the Zocalo and watch the world go by.
- Go shopping at one of Oaxaca’s handicraft markets.
- Visit Hierve el Agua.
- Arrange mountain bike rentals and horseback riding through a local agency.
- Join in the celebrations such as:
- The ‘festival of Day of the Dead’.
- Christmas, Noche de los Rábanos, December 23rd.
- The largest fiesta in Oaxaca – the “Guelaguetza” dance festival in July. And the many events and attractions of Easter week
Art Center San Agustin.- Workshops, exhibitions, cultural events, concerts. Check the schedule on their official website
Fiestas de la Guelaguetza